Sunday, 13 August 2017

Vigil of the Assumption (August 14)

Reading 1: From the Holy Gospel according to Luke - At that time, as Jesus spoke unto the multitudes, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice and said unto Him: Blessed is the womb that bore thee. And so on.

Homily by St John Chrysostom - When you hear a certain woman saying, Blessed is the womb that bare You, and the paps which You have sucked, and Him answering, rather blessed are they that do the will of my Father, suppose that those other words also were said with the same intention. For the answer was not that of one rejecting his mother, but of One who would show that her having borne Him would have nothing availed her, had she not been very good and faithful. Now if, setting aside the excellence of her soul, it profited Mary nothing that the Christ was born of her, much less will it be able to avail us to have a father or a brother, or a child of virtuous and noble disposition, if we ourselves be far removed from his virtue.

R. In principio Deus antequam terram faceret, priusquam abyssos constitueret, priusquam produceret fontes aquarum.* Antequam montes collocarentur, ante omnes colles generavit me Dominus.
V. Quando praeparabat caelos, aderam, cum eo cuncta componens.
R. Antequam montes collocarentur, ante omnes colles generavit me Dominus.
R. God possessed me in the beginning, before He made the earth, before He created the depths, before He caused the fountains of water to spring. * Before the mountains were settled, before there were any hills, did the Lord beget me.
V. When He prepared the heavens, I was there with Him, ordering all things.
R. Before the mountains were settled, before there were any hills, did the Lord beget me.

Reading 2: We must place our hopes of salvation in nothing else, but only in our own righteous deeds (done) after the grace of God. For if this by itself could have availed, it would have availed the Jews, (for Christ was their kinsman according to the flesh,) it would have availed the town in which He was born, it would have availed His brethren. But as long as His brethren cared not for themselves, the honor of their kindred availed them nothing, but they were condemned with the rest of the world.

R. Gyrum caeli circuivi sola, et in fluctibus maris ambulavi, in omni gente et in omni populo primatum tenui: * Superborum et sublimium colla propria virtute calcavi.
V. Ego in altissimis habito, et thronus meus in columna nubis.
R. Superborum et sublimium colla propria virtute calcavi.
R. I alone compassed the circuit of heaven, and walked on the waves of the sea. In every nation and in every people, I held the first place.
* In the greatness of my strength have I trodden under my feet the necks of such as be haughty and proud.
V. I dwell in the highest places, and my throne is in a cloudy pillar.
R. In the greatness of my strength have I trodden under my feet the necks of such as be haughty and proud.

Reading 3: And then only were approved, when they shone by their own virtue; and the city fell, and was burnt, having gained nothing from this; and His kinsmen according to the flesh were slaughtered and perished very miserably, having gained nothing towards being saved from their relationship to Him, because they had not the defense of virtue. The Apostles, on the contrary, appeared greater than any, because they followed the true and excellent way of gaining relationship with Him, that by obedience. And from this we learn that we have always need of faith, and a life shining and bright, since this alone will have power to save us.

R. Ne derelínquas me, Dómine, Pater et dominator vitæ meæ, ut non corruam in conspéctu adversariórum meórum: * Ne gaudeat de me inimícus meus.
V. Apprehénde arma et scutum et exsúrge in adjutórium mihi.
R. Ne gaudeat de me inimícus meus.
V: Gloria Patri...
R. Ne gaudeat de me inimícus meus.
R. O Lord, Father and Governor of my life, leave me not, lest I fall before mine adversaries,
* and mine enemy rejoice over me.
V. Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.
R. Lest mine enemy rejoice over me.
V: Glory be...
R. Lest mine enemy rejoice over me.

(Source for readings: New Advent)

No comments:

Post a Comment